Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Summer Term: Painting on Location

So highlights for the busy Summer term were Painting on Location and Conceptual Design. This was an interesting class because it's the first time I've painted with oils and they were interesting to get used to. Here's some of the painting on location work I liked more. 

Statue of Teddy Roosevelt at the Park Blocks

View from Pittock Mansion

Rock at Arcadia Beach

Riverfront Park in Salem, OR

View from Waterfront Park 

Painting of a Clothed Model

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Operation Peanut Butter

So this term has been a whirl of fun. Here's something I've been working on while I've been in radio silence from this blog. It's a production made with OPB that my advanced flash class and some other really great animator's have been working on for that last 11 weeks, so give it a looksie and enjoy! :)


Episode one is the only one up as of today, but they will be revealing the other four episodes daily.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Break

This is a character I'm working on rigging in Flash right now. I wasn't too happy with the last rig I made for my Flash class last term (it was way too complicated for this program) so I'm going to try and rig this one by the end of the break.  My goal was to do something simple, and I took some inspiration from the that paper illustration I did. I think it was pretty successful... and a whole lot more fun than the last one was.

Now to the rigging :)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Welcoming Spring Flowers

Today marks the end of a busy winter term for me, so I thought I'd get around to posting this. When Lee said we had to do collage, I was a little less than thrilled, but this ended up being a favorite of the entire term for me. When I started this, I was just trying to get a solid, simplified form, that looked animated. Thinking about that was a good practice for me so I want to try to do this again soon. 

This was done with cardstock, fabric, and a fake rose.

Also, a person that I looked to for inspiration is Brittney Lee, blog here. She's definitely worth a looksie if you haven't seen here stuff before. I will never have that kind of skill with paper.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Here's the final for costumed figure drawing this week. I'm happy with it, but I think if I have some time, I'll give it another go. The application of the ink is a little sloppy, and the line quality (what I was focusing on) isn't quite there. I actually like the line quality more in the study, which is why I included it. This week I was trying for a Bruce Timm look, and while I'm starting to get a handle on the line weight, I think I could push the figure a little more.

This was done with pen and ink.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I throw thugs from rooftops at night.


So I've really wanted to give digital painting a go for awhile. Now that I've just installed CS5 on my computer, I figured now would be a good time to start! So, in line with my current obsession with Batman, I present a portrait of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. I tried to show my process a little here with the colors I laid out, and then the finished with I tried to refine. Any critique is welcome, as this is my first go at it, and painting digitally is something I want to try again.

Photoshop and Wacom Tablet.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Here's some drawings from tonight's costumed figure drawing class. We had a male model today, it was fun. Dip pen, brush, and india ink.

The pinup of the week....

Ink and Dr.Martin's Concentrated Water color...

Monday, January 31, 2011

Playing with Watercolors

This is the final for Costumed Figure Drawing this week, I enjoyed playing with watercolors for this assignment, my first time using them for a long while. I think I could have pushed the figure more, but I'm relatively happy with the result.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

This model is so fun to draw and talk to! Costumed figure drawing was quite fun this week. Playing with ink, dip pen, and brushes.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Taking the time...

I did something I haven't done for a long while. I took my time with an assignment, thought it through, asked for critique many times over and reworked my illustration until I almost couldn't stand it, all while using a new media... And I loved the whole process! I've finished the first illustration for Costumed Figure Drawing, and can't wait to do the next one! Thought I'd share my results...

 So after the last post, I decided to take this in the direction of the one I did in red ink. I jumped to do my final illustration, which turned out well, with a couple errors, and weaknesses on my part.

So I did another study trying to add some more contrast between the figure and the background, also fixing her torso that was wonky in my first version. I decided the blank ink really popped, so I went with that, though I still really enjoy the monochromatic color scheme.

And here we have the result. I modified the pose to create a slightly more interesting silhouette, while trying to hold on to a more solid light source in this one. Taking the time to do some studies and redo this assignment really went pretty far towards what I think is a strong result. Off to the next illustration!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Here's a couple more experiments with this illustration. I'm finding that I don't know if I want a more realistic or character design here.I turned the her around for the one of the left and liked the effect, so I've been leaning towards this one.
The left was done with dip pen, brush and ink, the one on the right was water soluble graphite.

I'm taking a costumed figure drawing class presently, and it's going to be amazing. These are some experiments for an illustration I'm working on... Also had some fun with a dip pen here.